Job title: Residential Youth Counselor
Company name: Cocoon House
Job Type : Full-time, Part-time
Salary Description : $19-23/hr
At Cocoon House we empower young people, families, and communities in Snohomish County to break the cycle of homelessness through outreach, housing, and prevention. Currently, our Youth Housing program is looking for people to fill the important role of the Residential Youth Counselor who work directly with youth residing in our licensed emergency short-term facility in Monroe. The ultimate purpose of this position is to provide a safe and supportive environment for teens in the care of Cocoon House, promoting positive interaction, providing life skills, social skills, and other enrichment activities.
Our Residential Youth Counselor …
- Relate with youth and staff with a positive and collaborative approach
- Maintain healthy and safe boundaries with youth
- Accept a variety of lifestyles, behaviors, and cultural and spiritual practices
- Assess emergency situations, gather pertinent information, and provide proper support
- Follow mandating reporting and licensing policies and procedures
- De-escalate youth in crises and utilize anti-racist, inclusive, equity-based, and trauma-informed care in all of their work
What does a shift look like?
Days Part-time | Swing Full-time: 8 hrs, 5 days/week | Overnight Part-time
- Process intakes and exits for youth, provide orientation to incoming youth to the program, and enter required data for proper recordkeeping
- Partner with case managers to support youth case plans and interact with you in alignment with their established plans. This includes communicating with fellow staff regarding the plan and maintaining appropriate logs and forms with updated information.
- Supervise youth in the program and ensure safety while holding youth accountable to policies, guidelines, and rules by assigning appropriate consequences in collaboration with fellow staff
- Assisting, demonstrating, and teaching youth household tasks
- Maintain cleanliness of facilities
- Arrange appointments, fill prescriptions, and dispense medication for youth
- Communicate with other providers to assure youth are following through with their commitments
- Respond to community calls, drop-ins, and referrals with appropriate information and directions
- Participate in enrichment activities programming and planning with fellow staff
- Provide information and directions for off-site services to youth
Residential Youth Counselor Benefits: (may vary depending on part-time vs full-time status)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision health options with employer contribution
- 403(b) retirement plan
- 21 days of PTO accrued in first year
- 10 agency-recognized holidays
- Paid training & testing: CPR/first aid, food handler’s permit, blood borne pathogens, abuse awareness, TB testing, and additional in-depth practical trainings
Residential Youth Counselor Pay Scale:
Day & Swing: $19-20/hr
Cocoon House will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified persons with disabilities upon request.
Candidates with lived experience, BIPOC, and LGBTQ+ are strongly encouraged to apply!
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- High school diploma or GED
- 1 year minimum of experience working with youth
- DSHS background clearance
- Acceptable driver’s abstract with no more than 2 violations within last 3 years
- Possess a valid driver’s license, insurance, and reliable transportation
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination(s)
- Both orally and in writing, communicate effectively with youth, staff, other programs, vendors and the public.
- Be able to hear voices and alarms.
- Possess close vision, far vision, side vision, depth perception, and visual ability to read a variety of materials.
- Have dexterity of hands and fingers to reach, handle and operate telephone, computer keyboard, and record information in appropriate youth files and logs.
- Ability to perform range of physical motions, exerting up to 50 pounds
- Lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds
- Standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, kneeling, squatting, and stooping
- Running for brief periods of time
- Go up and down stairs